Driving License in Canada, Types Of Driving Licences In Canada

Driving License in Canada

In Canada there are three different driving license levels, with different rights and responsibilities. These three levels are G1 (written test), G2 (intermediate) and G (full license).

G1 – G1 is the first level of driving license and can be obtained at the age of 16 by passing a written test.

G1 level lasts one year, however, if you take a certified driving course it can last only 8 months.

Holders of G1 cannot drive alone, they must be accompanied by a driver with at least 4 years of experience and having G license.

G1 license holders must have zero alcohol in their blood while driving, cannot drive from midnight till 5 a.m and are not allowed to drive on roads with speed limit over 80 km/h.

However, if they are accompanied by a certified driver’s instructor they can drive anywhere.

G2 – Holders of G1 must pass a road test to get to the G2 level.

G2 drivers are not allowed to have any alcohol in their blood while driving,

and each person in the vehicle must have a working seat belt.

Holders of G2 license are allowed to take a test for G license after 1 year.

G – Holders of G driving license can operate any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg.

Driving License in Canada

However, there are some bonuses for people who have a valid driving license from another country.

Drivers from USA and Japan are not required to obtain Canadian driving license in order to drive in Canada.

Drivers from all other countries can drive with their national driving licenses for 2-6 months, depending on the different provinces legislation.

After that they are required to obtain Canadian license, but the procedure is much faster.

As a holder of a foreign driving license you will need to get the G1 license (written test), but after that you are not required to wait 1 year on G1 level.

You can skip G2 level and go for G road test right after you obtain G1.

However, if you fail that road test for G, you must go back and get G2 test before attempting G road test again for a full license.

And again, you don’t have to wait 1 year between the different levels. You can book your next exam on the spot, right after you fail.

Hopefully, you won’t need to.

My advice is to get the drivers education course before you go for your test,

even if you have had many years of driving experience in your country.

Remember, for the Canadian car insurance companies you would be a new driver,

no matter how many years you have driven in your country.

So, by completing the drivers education course you can get lower insurance rates and ensure that.

you will pass easily and save yourself some disappointments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *